When you’re starting a business, a business plan is essential whether you’re going to obtain financing or not. Creating a business plan helpsyou ...
Crafting the Perfect Business Plan: A Deep Dive with Upmetrics’ Vinay Kevadiya
Written by: Carolyn Young
Carolyn Young is a business writer who focuses on entrepreneurial concepts and the business formation. She has over 25 years of experience in business roles, and has authored several entrepreneurship textbooks.
Published on October 13, 2023
Updated on December 11, 2023
In the first segment of our conversation with Vinay Kevadiya, the visionary behind Upmetrics, we explored the platform’s origins and its unique approach to business planning.
As we dive deeper into the second part of our discussion, Vinay offers invaluable insights and tips on crafting an effective business plan. Whether you’re a budding entrepreneur or a seasoned business owner, Vinay’s expertise promises to shed light on the nuances of turning a business idea into a structured, actionable plan.
Join us as we uncover the secrets to successful business planning with one of the industry’s leading experts.
1. Why Do You Believe Business Planning Is Crucial for Startups and Established Businesses Alike?
Helping entrepreneurs secure funding is just a by-product of having a well-thought-out startup and a business plan to prove it.
A well-prepared business plan can help entrepreneurs bring clarity to their vision, identify potential risks and develop strategies to overcome those, make strategic business decisions, effectively allocate resources, and track progress.
As a fellow entrepreneur and founder of Upmetrics, I can talk about this the whole day, but to sum it up—a business plan is the ultimate handbook for your business to achieve desired outcomes.
2. What Are Some Common Mistakes Entrepreneurs Make When Drafting Their Business Plans?
Based on what we discovered from our research and my personal experiences following are the most common mistakes entrepreneurs make when drafting their business plans.
- Setting unrealistic milestones
Entrepreneurs become overly confident and ambitious about their business ideas and end up setting unrealistic milestones for themselves without considering the possible shortcomings.
- Incomplete financials
Financial planning can be overwhelming with traditional methods. The critical components of a financial plan include cash flow statements, balance sheets, and income statements. Because it is tedious and time-consuming, entrepreneurs often ignore this step or leave it incomplete.
- Lack of research
High-level research is required for a comprehensive business plan. Entrepreneurs often skip this step when creating a plan.
- Overly complex language
Using industry jargon and technical language makes a business plan difficult for readers to understand.
- Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors are inevitable, but entrepreneurs should proofread and edit their documents before sharing them with others. Entrepreneurs often avoid or simply ignore this part of the process.
These were just a few of many mistakes. Some other mistakes include over-optimization, ignoring the competition, neglecting exit strategy, and others.
3. How Does Upmetrics Assist Businesses in Financial Planning?
Using Upmetrics’ financial forecasting tool is the easiest way to create a financial plan. All you need to do is answer a few questions about your company’s financials, ask AI to suggest revenue streams and operational expenses, and let the tool prepare a detailed financial forecast.
It also creates visual charts and graphs that you can access from the dashboard, or you can embed into your plan.
4. For Someone New to Business Plan Software, What Tips Can You Offer to Get the Most Out of Upmetrics or Similar Platforms?
Since I’ve worked on a few business plan software and closely followed the development of Upmetrics, here are a few tips for entrepreneurs using Upmetrics or any other business plan software for the first time.
- Take a product tour, understand features, and be familiar with the platform. You may explore the workspace, business plan builder, template gallery, and financial forecasting tool.
- Be sure about your vision. The purpose of your business plan will determine its structure. Plans are written differently for different purposes, such as internal planning, obtaining bank loans, or securing investor funding.
- Use a business-specific template to begin with. You don’t need to start your plan from scratch, import a template from our library, and start editing.
- Adding revenue streams and financial details may sometimes feel overwhelming, but following step-by-step instructions will get you through.
- Use Upmetrics’ business planning course, resources, and tutorials for assistance.
- Use collaboration features to work with your team or seek feedback from your mentors.
5. How Does Upmetrics Facilitate Collaboration Among Team Members?
Upmetrics’ subscription comes with collaborative and permission-based access. So, you can collaborate and work with your team members in real time.
The permission-based access allows users to share the document with mentors or clients and ask for comments or share it with viewable access, allowing readers to view it only.
6. How Can Businesses Ensure That Their Plans Remain Relevant and Adaptable to Future Market Changes?
Your business plan doesn’t have to be a document written once and left untouched, gathering dust somewhere on your bookshelf. As an entrepreneur, you have to make sure it remains relevant and adaptable to future market changes.
This is how we managed to remain adaptable to the market changes:
- Regularly reviewing and updating your business and financial plan depending on changing market conditions and trends.
- Considering sensitivity or scenario analysis, analyzing three different scenarios—base, best, and worst-case scenario
- Employee and customer feedback mechanism—we encouraged open communication to gather valuable insights and suggestions from our employees and customers.
- Investing in innovation and AI advancements.
- SWOT analysis to identify internal and external factors affecting our business.
7. Once a Business Plan Is in Place, How Should Companies Measure Their Success Against It?
Measuring the success of your business is a continuous process. You must keep monitoring your growth and comparing it with your plan to measure success.
One way for that would be to compare your projections with actual results to ensure accurate projections based on metrics like customer acquisition, acquisition costs, net profit, and gross margin.
So, you can make necessary adjustments to your plan if the projections do not resonate with the actual numbers.
8. For Budding Entrepreneurs or Those Hesitant to Start, What Advice Would You Give Them, Especially in the Context of Planning and Strategy?
As a fellow entrepreneur and founder of a business planning software, here’s what advice I would like to give to budding entrepreneurs or those hesitant to start.
- Business planning is relatively easier when you start small with manageable resources. It helps you build a strong foundation.
- Understanding your competition and target market is foremost while starting a business. So, understand your target market, their needs, preferences, and pain points.
- Develop and launch a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) to test your idea beforehand.
- Network with fellow entrepreneurs, advisors, and business mentors to learn more about business planning and entrepreneurship.
- Take the first step, prepare the first draft of your plan, and overcome your hesitation. You will gradually find yourself moving forward.
9. How Do You See AI (Artificial Intelligence) Benefiting Entrepreneurs and Businesses in Their Planning Processes?
As I mentioned before, we are already using AI to simplify business planning. Currently, Upmetrics AI Assistant can help write a business plan, create pitch decks, and suggest revenue streams.
However, we continuously work on AI advancements to bring new AI-powered features to our users.
Crafting the Perfect Business Plan: A Deep Dive with Upmetrics’ Vinay Kevadiya
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
and gain insider access to cutting-edge business insights and trends.
LivePlan Software Review
Published on September 15, 2023
What to Include in Your Business Plan Appendix?
Published on September 13, 2023
Launching a business involves countless tasks, and one of the crucial early hurdles is writing a business plan. Many entrepreneurs who aren’tlooki ...
5 Best Business Plan Software
Published on March 7, 2023
Starting a business requires completing countless tasks, and a key early hurdle is writing a business plan. Entrepreneurs who aren’t looking forfu ...