Back to Sales Tax Guides

Washington Sales Tax Calculator

Written by:

Edited by:

Reviewed by: Daniel Javor

Updated on January 27, 2023

Washington Sales Tax Calculator

Disclaimer: Step by Step Business’ content is for informational and educational purposes only. It’s not intended to be a substitute for professional legal or tax advice. All of our articles are thoroughly reviewed and fact-checked by our editorial team. Read our editorial guidelines for more details.

Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Washington Sales Tax Calculator

If your business sells physical products or certain types of services, you will need to collect and pay sales tax. In Washington, the first step is visiting the department of revenue website and registering for sales tax in order to acquire a seller’s permit, or sales tax permit. 

What Products and Services Are Subject to Sales Tax in Washington?

The sale of any tangible personal property is subject to sales tax in Washington. The sale of services such as installation, repair, cleaning, altering, improving, construction, and decorating are also subject to sales tax. Groceries and prescription drugs are tax-exempt. 

Washington Sales Tax Rate

The state sales tax rate in Washington is 6.5%.

Washington sales tax rates vary depending on which county and city you’re in. Check Washington Department of Revenue site for the exact rates.

Sales Tax Rate

How to Register for Washington Sales Tax

In Washington, acquire a seller’s permit by following the department of revenue’s detailed instructions for registration: 

  1. Fill out an application on the state’s business license wizard page
  2. Pay the $19 fee.

Use our Sales Tax Calculator to determine your exact sales tax rate and total purchase amount. 

Sales Tax Calculator

Reset Data


In Washington, and across the country, collecting sales tax is a must if you want to avoid potentially heavy fines and even closure. It’s crucial that you follow your state’s laws, and you might consider consulting with an accountant or tax attorney to make sure you’re in full compliance.