We earn commissions if you shop through the links below. Read more

South Dakota Sales Tax Calculator

Written by:

Mark Stewart is the in-house Certified Public Accountant, an accomplished author and financial media specialist.

South Dakota Sales Tax Calculator

If your business sells physical products or certain types of services, you will need to collect and pay sales tax. In South Dakota, the first step is visiting the department of revenue website and registering for sales tax in order to acquire a seller’s permit, or sales tax permit. 

Use our Sales Tax Calculator to determine your exact sales tax rate and total purchase amount. 

South Dakota Sales Tax Calculator

Reset Data

What Products and Services Are Subject to Sales Tax in South Dakota?

Tangible property for sale, lease, or rent is subject to sales tax in South Dakota. Most services are also subject to sales tax. Sales of prescription medicines and gasoline are exempt from sales tax. 

South Dakota Sales Tax Rate

The state sales tax rate in South Dakota is 4.5%.

South Dakota sales tax rates vary depending on which county and city you’re in. Check South Dakota Department of Revenue site for the exact rates.

Sales Tax Rate

How to Register for South Dakota Sales Tax

In South Dakota, acquire a seller’s permit by following the department of revenue’s detailed instructions for registration: 

  1. Fill out the state sales tax account application
  2. There is no fee to apply for a sales tax account in South Dakota.


In South Dakota, and across the country, collecting sales tax is a must if you want to avoid potentially heavy fines and even closure. It’s crucial that you follow your state’s laws, and you might consider consulting with an accountant or tax attorney to make sure you’re in full compliance.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

South Dakota Sales Tax Calculator