Back to Sales Tax Guides

Nevada Sales Tax Rate

Written by:

Edited by:

Reviewed by: Daniel Javor

Published on April 15, 2022

Updated on September 13, 2022

Nevada Sales Tax Rate

Disclaimer: Step by Step Business’ content is for informational and educational purposes only. It’s not intended to be a substitute for professional legal or tax advice. All of our articles are thoroughly reviewed and fact-checked by our editorial team. Read our editorial guidelines for more details.

Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nevada Sales Tax Rate

If your limited liability company (LLC) sells physical products or certain types of services, you will need to collect and pay sales tax. In Nevada, the first step is visiting the department of taxation website and registering for sales tax in order to acquire a seller’s permit, or sales tax permit. 

What Products and Services Are Subject to Sales Tax in Nevada?

businessman makes calculation at work tax forms concept

Tangible property that is transferred for value is subject to sales tax in Nevada, as are services required to transfer tangible property. Unprepared food, farm machinery and equipment, and newspapers are exempt from sales tax. 

Nevada Sales Tax Rate

The sales tax rate in Nevada is 4.6%.

Five states have no sales tax. Colorado has the lowest sales tax at 2.9%, while California has the highest rate at 7.25%.

How to Register for Nevada Sales Tax

In Nevada, acquire a seller’s permit by following the department of taxation’s detailed instructions for registration: 

  1. Register for an account on the Nevada Tax Center website
  2. Fill out the business registration form.
  3. Pay the $15 fee. 

Use our Sales Tax Calculator to calculate taxes and total purchase amount. 


In Nevada, and across the country, collecting sales tax is a must if you want to avoid potentially heavy fines and even closure. It’s crucial that you follow your state’s laws, and you might consider consulting with an accountant or tax attorney to make sure you’re in full compliance.