Back to Sales Tax Guides

Minnesota Sales Tax Rate

Written by:

Edited by:

Reviewed by: Daniel Javor

Published on April 20, 2022

Updated on September 13, 2022

Minnesota Sales Tax Rate

Disclaimer: Step by Step Business’ content is for informational and educational purposes only. It’s not intended to be a substitute for professional legal or tax advice. All of our articles are thoroughly reviewed and fact-checked by our editorial team. Read our editorial guidelines for more details.

Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Minnesota Sales Tax Rate

If your limited liability company (LLC) sells physical products or certain types of services, you will need to collect and pay sales tax. In Minnesota, the first step is visiting the revenue department website and registering for sales tax in order to acquire a seller’s permit, or sales tax permit. 

What Products and Services Are Subject to Sales Tax in Minnesota?

businessman calculating on a company financial documents

The sale, lease, or rental of tangible property is subject to sales tax in Minnesota. Admissions to amusement facilities and fitness clubs are also taxable, as are construction and installation labor. Groceries, clothing, and prescription drugs are exempt from sales tax. 

Minnesota Sales Tax Rate

The sales tax rate in Minnesota is 6.875%.

Five states have no sales tax. Colorado has the lowest sales tax at 2.9%, while California has the highest rate at 7.25%.

How to Register for Minnesota Sales Tax

In Minnesota, acquire a seller’s permit by following the Department of Revenue’s detailed instructions for registration: 

  1. Visit the department of revenue’s online business registration form
  2. Fill out the business registration form.
  3. There is no fee to register your business for sales tax. 

Use our Sales Tax Calculator to calculate taxes and total purchase amount. 


In Minnesota, and across the country, collecting sales tax is a must if you want to avoid potentially heavy fines and even closure. It’s crucial that you follow your state’s laws, and you might consider consulting with an accountant or tax attorney to make sure you’re in full compliance.