Back to Sales Tax Guides

Iowa Sales Tax Rate

Written by:

Edited by:

Reviewed by: Daniel Javor

Published on April 22, 2022

Updated on September 13, 2022

Iowa Sales Tax Rate

Disclaimer: Step by Step Business’ content is for informational and educational purposes only. It’s not intended to be a substitute for professional legal or tax advice. All of our articles are thoroughly reviewed and fact-checked by our editorial team. Read our editorial guidelines for more details.

Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Iowa Sales Tax Rate

If your limited liability company (LLC) sells physical products or certain types of services, you will need to collect and pay sales tax. In Iowa, the first step is visiting the revenue department website and registering for sales tax in order to acquire a seller’s permit, or sales tax permit. 

What Products and Services Are Subject to Sales Tax in Iowa?

successful businessman working with financial data

Sales of tangible personal property are subject to sales tax in Iowa. Taxable services include the repair of most tangible property, carpet cleaning, dry cleaning, moving, and a host of other services you can find here. Most groceries are tax exempt in Iowa, as are most medical devices and prescription medications. 

Iowa Sales Tax Rate

The sales tax rate in Iowa is 6%.

Five states have no sales tax. Colorado has the lowest sales tax at 2.9%, while California has the highest rate at 7.25%.

How to Register for Iowa Sales Tax

In Iowa, acquire a seller’s permit by following the Department of Revenue’s detailed instructions for registration: 

  1. Go to the Connect Iowa website.
  2. Register for an account.
  3. Fill out the business registration form.
  4. There is no fee to apply for a seller’s permit in Iowa.

Use our Sales Tax Calculator to calculate taxes and total purchase amount. 


In Iowa, and across the country, collecting sales tax is a must if you want to avoid potentially heavy fines and even closure. It’s crucial that you follow your state’s laws, and you might consider consulting with an accountant or tax attorney to make sure you’re in full compliance.